December 28, 2016

Dana White Does Not Expect Brock Lesnar Comeback

By ()
UFC president Dana White said during a recent interview with TMZ Sports that he's not holding out hope of a Brock Lesnar return after he finishes serving his current suspension.

Brock Lesnar would technically be eligible to return to the octagon next summer, but UFC president Dana White isn’t holding his breath in anticipation of the event.

White, speaking with TMZ Sportssaid the former UFC heavyweight champion and current WWE superstar has very likely moved on from his days as a professional MMA fighter, but added that he can’t make any guarantees.

Lesnar is currently serving a one-year suspension after testing positive for banned substances in his most recent fight against Mark Hunt at UFC 200 in July. He would be eligible to apply for a license again in July 2017, just after he turns 40 years old. White said you shouldn’t hold your breath on the matter, though.

“I doubt it,” he said of another Lesnar comeback. “I don’t know how much longer he’s got with WWE. I think his career is winding down. But he’s a freak of nature, so who knows? Maybe he’ll give me a call and say he wants to do it again, but I think he’s ready to ride off into the sunset.”

His current WWE contract reportedly expires at the conclusion of 2017, and it remains unknown if Lesnar will sign an extension with the WWE or become a free agent.

However, such a situation has arisen for Lesnar in the past. He previously used his simultaneous participation in the WWE and UFC as leverage while negotiating contracts with the companies.

After his 2011 loss to Alistair Overeem, Lesnar said he would never fight in the UFC again, and that he was satisfied with what he had been able to accomplish in MMA. Seemingly struck by cabin fever, Lesnar announced his surprise return to the sport for the UFC 200 bout with Hunt.

It turned out to be a fight that likely tarnished Lesnar’s legacy more than it helped.

He skated by Hunt with a unanimous decision victory in the fight. But in the weeks following the fight, it was revealed that Lesnar failed not one, but two drug tests administered by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

After several delays in his hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Lesnar reached a settlement in early December in which the result of the Hunt fight would be changed to a no-contest decision and a $250,000 fine.

Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Leave a Comment